This recipe is a collaboration between me and my sister-in-law. When my husband and I moved to Colorado, we decided we would do our own version of the show, “Chopped.” Basically, you get a basket of random ingredients and have to make an appetizer, entrée, and dessert on the spot. The tofu nuggets were part of our appetizer round. We lost this round to a tofu burrito made my husband and sister. While we won the whole competition, I still think these tofu nuggets deserve first place!
- 16 oz. Firm Tofu, drained
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1 egg, whisked with 1 Tbs. water
- 1 tbs. cornstarch
- Salt and pepper to Taste
In order to make the tofu nuggets firm and crispy:
- Drain the tofu. Place paper towels in a baking dish and lay tofu on top. Place a couple sheets of paper towels on top of the tofu.
- Lay either a sauté pan or cooking sheet directly on top. Then add something heavy such as a rock or large can on top.
- Let sit for at least an hour or more.
- Pre-heat the oven to 375*F. Prepare a foil lined baking sheet. Once oven is hot, place the empty pan in the oven. (This may seem strange to put an empty pan in but, this ensures the bottom of the tofu will crisp up just like the top).
- Cut the drained tofu in 1-inch cubes. Toss tofu in cornstarch. Season egg with salt and pepper then add in the tofu. Press tofu in the panko crumbs.
- Take the pan out of the oven and spray with oil. Then, carefully place tofu in the pan. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until tofu is golden brown.
My conclusion: You can easily make this recipe vegan by using flax “egg”. Simply mix 1 Tbs. flaxseed meal with 2.5 Tbs. water. After tossing in the cornstarch, use the same process above that you would with the egg. These have become a favorite alternative to chicken nuggets in our house.
Be sure to comment below and let me know your favorite tofu nugget recipe.
Peace and Blessings 😊