For this meatless Monday I thought I would do a dish that would satisfy the sweet tooth. I’ve tried apple pie protein shakes and store-bought protein bars but, this homemade recipe is my favorite. I used a no bake peanut butter cookie as the base. I sautéed the apples in a little coconut oil and served it with an oat walnut mix with caramel sauce. This dish is the perfect amount of sweetness that can be enjoyed without the calories of an apple pie. Recipe makes about 12.
- 3 granny smith apples, thinly sliced
- ½ Tbs. cinnamon
- ¼ tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1 Tbs. water
- ½ cup peanut butter
- ½ cup almond milk
- 1/3 cup raw honey or maple syrup
- ½ Tbs. vanilla extract
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- 1 and ½ cups oats
- ½ cup walnuts, crushed
- Place a medium sauce pan on medium low heat. Add the honey, almond milk and coconut oil. Stir the ingredients until the coconut oil melts. (Should happen pretty quickly make sure the ingredients do not come to boil.
- Add the peanut butter and the extract and whisk together till smooth. Take off heat and add in oats and walnuts. Drop tablespoons of mixture onto a wax paper lined cookie sheet.
- Store in fridge for at least an hour until set (They also store well in the freezer).
- In a bowl, combine apples with cinnamon and nutmeg. In another sauté pan, heat to medium. Spray pan with coconut oil and add apples. Stir the apples until they turn slightly brown add water and cover pan.
- Let apples steam for 3-5 minutes to let apples get soft. Assemble and enjoy!
You can also dice up apples and add them to the peanut butter mixture to make an all in one quick bite.
This recipe can be made into many variations. You can use chocolate, cranberries, blueberries, or anything that would a pie.
Peace and Blessings😊