My mom came to town for a day visit. She lives about an hour and a half away. We decided on having a late lunch. For those who don’t know, my mom has been on a weight loss journey for the past six months. She’s lost over 65 pounds. Growing up, my mom’s favorite things were Chinese food (anything fried), Pepsi, and, if it was a really tough day, ice cream. Seeing her now making healthy habits is truly inspiring. For this lunch, I wanted to make something comforting yet light since we had other plans for the rest of the day.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 8 oz steamed spinach
- ½ Tbs of minced garlic
- 18 oz. can diced tomatoes
- 14.5 oz. can spicy tomato sauce
- 1 spaghetti squash roasted (I made mine in the microwave)
- Heat a medium sized sauté pan to medium heat. Spray the pan with oil (I use coconut oil spray). Add garlic and stir until garlic begins to brown. Add ground beef and cook until brown.
- Drain meat (normally, I like to keep some of the fat for the sauce but since my mom is watching her calories I drained it all out). Place pan back on heat and add both cans of tomatoes.
- Bring to boil and then reduce heat to simmer. Let it simmer 15 minutes before you add the spinach. Stir and let heat for five minutes before serving on top of the spaghetti squash.
I like my sauce thicker so I did use a little cornstarch to get the consistency I wanted. That’s just me though. The only seasoning I used was pepper and garlic powder. My mom watches her sodium intake and since I used canned tomatoes I wanted to make sure it wouldn’t be too much. This is a great light meal for lunch or dinner especially on days you plan on doing a lot of walking around or errands after the meal.
Be sure to comment below and let me know if this is something you would try, have tried, or have perfected as a recipe of your own.
Peace and Blessings 😊