It’s finally Friday and we got through another long week. I was craving a fried fish sandwich really bad. We have been eating low carb, so I wanted to make us something that would have all the flavors of a fried sandwich, without all the calories. I wanted to treat ourselves so I pan fried the fish. It is all about moderation. I learned through another food blogger to add turmeric to the batter or flour when frying. What you get is this amazing golden-brown color on the fish. I will be doing this with everything I fry from now on!
- 1 lb. Tilapia, boneless, skinless
- 1 cup flour
- 2 egg whites
- 1 Tbs. Turmeric
- Pinch of salt
- ¼ tsp. pepper
- In small bowl whisk together egg whites, salt, and pepper.
- In another bowl combine flour and turmeric. Add a little salt and pepper to the tilapia then dip in the egg mixture and then the flour. Repeat with all the fish.
- Heat a medium sized skillet and set to medium heat. Add two tablespoons of oil and put in two fish at a time (too many and the fish will steam and won’t brown).
- Cook for 3-5 minutes or until the fish starts to brown then flip and cook an additional 3-5 minutes.
- Repeat with the rest of the batch.
I served the fish with a spicy relish, a coleslaw mix I tossed with red wine vinegar, chipotle mayo and hot sauce. If you are craving a fried vegetarian dish instead, mushrooms or tofu is a good substitute. Instead of pan frying, you can bake them but, just make sure you replace the flour from the recipe above with either panko or cornemal. Switching to panko or cornmeal will ensure your dish comes out crunchy. Set your oven to 400*F and bake for 10-15 minutes until golden brown. The toppings I used for the fish would also work nicely with your vegetarian dish.
Peace and Blessings😊