In the joys of getting older, I can’t always have a heavy meal at dinner time. But sometimes Evan (my husband) has to work late and we like to eat together for meals even if it’s 9:00p.m. I enjoy the social time but I hate how heavy my stomach feels when I try to go to bed, let alone get up in the a.m. To compromise, I like to do lighter meals when he comes home late. Here is one of my favorite ingredients…mushrooms. Mushrooms are a great source of protein and can absorb any flavor.
- 6 Portobello mushrooms
- ¼ cup balsamic vinaigrette (I just used an organic one I had in the fridge)
- 1 Tbs Worcestershire sauce
- ½ Tbs Oregano
- 1tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp pepper
- Mix together the vinaigrette, Worcestershire, and seasonings either in a bowl or I used a Ziploc bag.
- Add the mushrooms and let them marinate about 15 minutes.
- Heat a large sauté pan on medium heat. Spray the pan (I use coconut oil) and place the mushrooms caps down first. Let them brown for a few minutes then flip and let cook for another 3-4 minutes. The mushrooms will caramelize due to the vinaigrette. Done.
I served the mushrooms with some spinach. We also had some appetizers I threw together. What I liked the most about the mushrooms is I flavored and seared them like I would meat. It had a hearty taste that made our belly’s satisfied but not bloated so we were able to get a good night’s sleep and have a good morning.
Be sure to comment below and let me know if this is something you would try or what you prepare for a late dinner.
Peace and Blessings 😊