Anyone who knows me knows I hate throwing out food. So, I was determined to use the ground up almonds (also called milled almonds) in my nut milk bag for something. I tried using it to make more almond milk but, the almond flavor didn’t come out as strong. So instead, I put this ground up almond mixture in my stir-fry, casseroles, breading, and even meatloaf. However, this recipe was the best use of the remaining almond mixture.
- 2 (15.75 oz) cans mixed fruit cocktail in water
- 12 lemon cookies
- Milled almonds (I had about 1 cup leftover in my nut milk bag)
- 2 Tbs. Cornstarch
- ½ Tbs. Ground Cinnamon
- ¼ cup Maple Syrup
- Pre-heat the oven to 375*F. Line a baking dish with foil, grease, and set aside.
- Heat a large sauce pan on medium heat. Add both cans of fruit and bring to boil. Once boiling, add in maple syrup and cinnamon.
- Take about a cup of fruit out of the pan (be careful it is hot). Add cornstarch to cup of fruit and mix together. Add it back to the pan and bring to simmer. The fruit mixture will thicken.
- Crush the lemon cookies by hand or pulse them in a blender. Mix together with milled almonds.
- Place fruit in a prepared pan and add the cookie/almond topping. Bake for 20-25 minutes.
Instead of using mixed fruit cocktail, you can use fruit pie filling or even fresh fruit. The topping is simple. You can also add nuts or toasted coconut on top for some extra crunch. Serve with ice cream, whipped cream, or both!
Be sure to comment below and let me know if you have tried this recipe or made a version of your own.
Peace and Blessings 😊